From Cate to the Red Carpet
|Ema Boateng '13 during the 2012 soccer season.|
| Ema Boateng '13 raises the Gatorade Boys Soccer Player of the Year trophy in a special assembly after
the surprise awarding in May.
2011-12 Male Nominees (Hometown – Bound For)
· Football – Johnathan Gray (Aledo, Texas – Texas)
· Boys Cross Country – Futsum Zeinasellassie (Indianapolis, Ind. – Northern Arizona)
· Boys Soccer – Ema Boateng (Carpinteria, Calif. – UC-Santa Barbara)
· Boys Basketball – Jabari Parker (Chicago, Ill. – Senior/Simeon Career Academy)
· Baseball – Lance McCullers Jr. (Tampa, Fla. – Houston Astros Org.)
· Boys Track & Field – Abraham Hall (Grand Prairie, Texas – Army)
2011-12 Female Nominees (Hometown – Bound For)
· Volleyball – Jordan Burgess (Tampa, Fla. – Stanford)
· Girls Cross Country – Molly Seidel (Hartland, Wis. – Notre Dame)
· Girls Soccer – Morgan Andrews (Milford, N.H. – Senior/Milford High School)
· Girls Basketball – Breanna Stewart (Cicero, N.Y. – Connecticut)
· Softball – Geri Ann Glasco (Watkinsville, Ga. – Georgia)
· Girls Track & Field – Shelbi Vaughan (Mansfield, Texas – Texas A&M)
Scheduled award presenters include Robert Griffin III, Alonzo Mourning, Lisa Leslie, and Brandi Chastain.
The Gatorade Player of the Year Award is the most prestigious high school athletic award in the nation. Since 1985, Gatorade has recognized State and National Players of the Year in 12 sports (six male, six female). In addition to athletic performance, Gatorade Players of the Year must excel in the classroom and demonstrate strong character. Winners are selected by a panel of nationwide sportswriters and commentators.
In 2002-03, Gatorade expanded the award program to include a year-end event bringing together its 12 National Players of the Year and naming one male and one female as the top high school athletes in the country – the Gatorade High School Athletes of the Year. The 2011-12 event will mark the award’s 10th annual ceremony.